213 South Main Street, Fostoria, Ohio
Email your completed application to: email@example.com or mail completed application to:
213 South Main Street Fostoria, Ohio 44830
The City of Fostoria strives to employ and retain the best possible candidates in order to provide quality services to the residents and visitors of our community. If you are interested in joining our team, please download the Employment Application and submit by mail to the address provided.
Our Police and Fire Departments operate under Civil Service Board rules and all qualified applicants must pass both the relevant civil service exam as well as any physical fitness/agility test.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City does not discriminate in its employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability, or on the basis of any other characteristics which are prohibited by law.
Water Treatment Plant Relief Operator-Midnight Shift Posted: 05/06/2019
SUMMARY Controls treatment plant machines and equipment to purify and clarify water for human consumption and for industrial use by performing the following duties in accordance with current operating procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Other duties may be assigned.
• Performs operator duties on all shifts.
• Must be flexible to change shifts to relieve shift operators for vacations, holidays and days/weeks as required by immediate supervisor.
• Trains operators on particular shift requirements.
• Performs moderate to heavy maintenance duties with Maintenance Operator. • Operates and controls electric motors, pumps, and valves to regulate flow of raw water into treating plant.
• Applies proper dosage of chemicals such as chlorine, hydrofluosilicic acid, potassium permanganate, carbon, alum and lime into water or adjusts automatic devices that admit specified amounts of chemicals into tanks to disinfect, deodorize, and to clarify water.
• Starts agitators to mix chemicals and allows impurities to settle to bottom of tank. Tums valves to regulate water through filter beds to remove impurities.
• Pumps purified water into water mains.
• Monitors panel board and adjusts controls to regulate flow rates, loss of head pressure and water elevation, and distribution of water. • Cleans tanks and filter beds, using backwashing (reverse flow of water).
• Performs minor maintenance on equipment.
• Tests water samples to determine acidity, hardness, impurities and fluoridation.
• Adds chemicals such as alum into tanks to coagulate impurities and to reduce acidity. Records data such as residual content of chemicals, water turbidity, and water pressure. Receives citizen complaints and responds accordingly.
• Performs all duties in accordance with prescribed safety rules.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience with minor mechanical ability.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent. Ability to calculate weight measurements, volume and calculate chemical dosages. REASONING ABILITY Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
*Chemical Laboratory Certification in accordance with OPEA Standards. *Must posses a Certificate of Completion for Public Water System Operator I and be certified as a Public Water System Operator I in accordance with OEPA Standards prescribed in OAC 3745-7-01 thru 16. Possess a valid Ohio Drivers Operators License. *May be acquired after hire in accordance with current labor agreement.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. WORK
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duty of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, toxic or caustic chemicals, and outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to high, precarious places and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Maintains effective working relationships with supervisors and co-workers. An individual who poses a direct threat to the health and safety of himself/herself or others in the workplace will be deemed not qualified for this position.
Copyright 2018 © City of Fostoria