Tel: 419.435.8282

213 South Main Street, Fostoria, Ohio


Do I need a permit for a shed?
Yes. A shed no matter what size or if it is pre-built, a permit is required to ensure that setback requirement are met.

Do I need a permit for a swimming pool or hot tub?
A permit is required for any pool with a maximum depth of more than 18 inches.

Am I allowed to park my car in the yard?
No.  Vehicles must be parked legally on the street or on an improved driveway.  Parking on the boulevard is also not allowed (no wheels in the yard).

Can I keep my trash container or bags on the boulevard?
No.  Containers used for trash and garbage bags may only be set out on the boulevard every seven days for collection.

Do I need a permit to run a business from my home?
Yes.  A Home Occupation Permit is required for use of a dwelling or accessory building for gainful employment involving the manufacture, provision, or sale of goods or services

How do I report a possible zoning violation?
A violation may be reported by calling the office at 419-435-8243 or by email, or in person.

Do I have to give my name in order to report a possible zoning violation?
No. A call can be made confidentially, but if the information given is not complete or more information is needed the property cannot be inspected.

How high can the grass grow before it is in violation of the zoning code?
Grass or weeds cannot exceed 12 inches.  Failure to keep the grass or weeds cut is a minor misdemeanor punishable by a mandatory fine of not less than $50.00.

Where can I build a fence on my residential property?
Fences can be constructed 6 inches from the neighboring property line and 5 feet from an alley right of way.  This does not assume that the sidewalk or curb is where your property line starts.  To accurately determine where your property line is property pins need to be located or the lot needs to be surveyed.

Where can I park my boat or RV?
In residential zoning districts, boats, RV's and utility trailers are required to be parked behind the front building line of the your house.  This requirement applies on both lot frontages of a corner lot.  Boats, RV’s,  and utility trailers can be parked or stored no closer than five feet to any lot line and more than ten feet from the main structure and parked on an improved surface such as asphalt, concrete, crushed stone or pavers (a permit is required).Type your paragraph here.

Danielle Penwell
Code Enforcement Officer
City of Fostoria
(419) 435-8243 

The zoning office has the responsibility for providing support for the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals. 

Responsible functions also include issuing a variety of permits, such as zoning, sidewalk, driveway, fence, and swimming pools.  The department is also responsible for the inspection and enforcement of all zoning laws including Property Maintenance.


Code enforcement for multi-family and commercial projects is administered through Wood County Building Inspection. Wood County Building Inspection may be contacted at

419-354-9190 phone
419-354-9190 inspections


The City of Fostoria administrative offices will be available to receive Fair Housing Complaints and Questions Monday - Friday. Once the office receives a complaint that is determined to be a fair housing complaint it will be referred via email to the Toledo Regional Office. All complaints and questions will be documented by the administrative office. Once the referral has been made the City will continue to follow up with the complainant until any issues have been resolved. 

Fair Housing Brochure

Fair Housing Contact:
Joshua Clark
Safety Service Director
The City of Fostoria
213 S. Main St.
Fostoria, Ohio 44830

Click on map for larger view. (opens in new window)


Jason Koomen
Compliance/Project Manager
City of Fostoria
(419) 435-9775